Skip to main content

Unfinished: Friendship

"Does it bother you that I have sex with other women?" he asks. The question catches me a little bit off guard. We were laying naked together in bed. It just didn't seem like an appropriate time or place to ask that kind of thing. Or to answer it. A noncommittal grunt is my only response. What could I possibly have to say in response to that? Yes, I am bothered by the fact that you sleep with other women. The thought alone makes me feel sick to my stomach. "Because, if it's a problem for you, we'll probably have to stop doing this kind of thing."

"You already have a girlfriend," I remind him. "I knew you were having sex with her when this whole thing started. Why would I start getting mad about it now?" It becomes apparent to me then that I'm not the one who this question should be directed toward. There is a whole other person someone out there who doesn't know that she's a part of a sex triangle. Plus, she didn't really have anything to worry about. I was feeling the ties of our relationship slowly loosening every time we slept together. This line of questioning was his subtle way of letting me know everything was coming to an end. Becoming attached to someone so emotionally unavailable to me was my fault alone.  No matter how many times he slipped into my bed, I knew, he would always slip out again and go back to her.  We as humans are allowed to make mistakes, and I was his. An accident, as he had called it.

"I'm just making sure. I like having sex with you and I really do care about you. I want us to be able to talk about anything that we're feeling. I wouldn't want anything to mess this up for us." I am unable to understand what he is trying to say. I ask him what he means. "I'm not really sure. I guess... I just don't want to fuck up the dynamic of our friendship." And there he said it. Friendship. Friends. Just friends. That's all we are and I had no choice but to act accordingly.

"We're always going to have a fucked up dynamic. I feel like it's the only way this friendship knows how to work." I'm a dirty liar for saying such things. I want nothing more than to put his girlfriend on a space shuttle to Mars just so I could keep him for myself. I wanted to be able to feel something special with him. I wanted more than friendship. My heart cracked a little more each time that word got thrown out into the universe to be interpreted as truth. "We're just fucked up."

Then we rolled over each other and did what we did best. There was no preamble of kisses. It was cold, mechanical, detached. He put me on my stomach just so he wouldn't have to look at me and could pretend I was who he really wanted. I obliged his unspoken request and he finished himself off quickly, not bothering if I had come. I hadn't, but I suppose that was never much of his concern anyway.
I looked over at him as he busied himself with the cell phone he had promptly fished from under the bed. Text, text, text, buzz, text, text, buzz. "I have to go now." He says it quietly as though he feels any guilt. I know otherwise. "Do you think you can give me a ride to the train station?"

"Of course."

The short and silent ride is punctuated by the slamming of my car door as he leaves to run to a girl waiting on the platform. The Girl waiting on the platform. I look away and as I pull back onto the street for my four wheeled walk of shame back home, I get a text message.

Thx for the ride. Your a gr8 friend. - Boy

I try my best to remain neutral in my answer.

Right. - Girl

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parallel Universe Theory: Redux

Here’s a story I started writing in 2021 based on an extremely vivid nightmare I once had. The original version was only as long as the first part of this rewrite, and absolutely everything has been changed. This is my first attempt at ungraded creative writing in at least a decade. Go easy on me. Part 1 The rays of morning light filtered through her curtains, casting a soft glow across the bed, offering a gentle nudge towards wakefulness. Savitri blinked open her eyes, greeted by the soft chaos of her bedroom — books piled high on the nightstand, a sweater draped over a chair from the night before, and her journal lying open, a silent witness to the thoughts that often kept her company in the quiet hours. She reached for the journal, her fingers tracing the worn edges with a familiarity that felt like home. Flipping to the last entry, she expected to find solace in her own words, a breadcrumb trail of yesterday’s thoughts. Instead, she found herself staring at a stranger’s diary. The

Eyeliner Sideburns

In another life, known as the age of 14, I had a big crush on a boy. Before I get started recalling any type of detail about the nature of our relationship - no relationship whatsoever, actually - I feel compelled to describe our differences in outward appearance. Jason, last name Whothehellknows, was a rather attractive specimen of boy. Tall, slender, rather nice hair, amazing glasses. He was probably the boy that got me started on my love of guys that wear glasses, actually. I liked them so much that I even renamed him. Pretty Glasses Boy he was dubbed, PGB for short and I was completely infatuate. So was the rest of the female student body, to be honest. He delivered letters and memos to other classrooms for the office and you could hear the murmur down the hall from the girls after he left a room. I, on the other hand, was on the other side of aesthetically pleasing. I was short, too skinny, and my hair was wrong. Come to think of it, when isn't my hair wrong? I digress. He

There's a boy next to me and he never will be anything but a boy at the bar.

I see you. Over there in the nook to the left of the bar. The shadowy place that no one ever notices unless you’re looking for it. The place I always look because that’s where you always are. And I see you. And I see her. Climbing all over you like some sort of primate. Maybe it’s because you’re so tall. Maybe it’s because she’s the size of a pixie. Either way, I can’t take my eyes away. I feel no jealousy. All I feel is warm. Tequilla. Whisky. Vodka. My blood is a coctail and all I feel is warm and the urge to dance. So I do. I completely forget about you because my needs are more important than you are. And it feels so good. Hair flips. Hip sways. Two steps. It’s wonderful. But then a song I don’t know comes on. And I stop dancing. And I look over. And you’re watching me. How long had I been there? How long had you noticed I was there? “Let’s go get another drink,” my friend says. Followed by a walk to the bar. It’s crowded. I stand back. You make your move. “So where’s your ma